Therapy Dog Training Class
This class is for potential volunteers and their pets who would like to prepare for therapy work.
- Get to know more about NCTD.
- Meet other NCTD volunteers, and learn from their visiting experiences.
- Become prepared for therapy visits.
- Get your pet exposed to hospital equipment.
- Improve control and communication with your pet.
- Practice team reaction to distractions.
- Practice with successful therapy animals.
- ... and much more!
- Dog must be at least 9 months old at start of class.
- A copy of a current rabies vaccination must be provided by the first day of class.
- Dogs must currently have reliable basic obedience skills:
- Sit, Down, Stay on command
- Walk on loose leash (no pulling handler, or dragging behind)
- Dogs must have passed the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test sponsored by the American Kennel Club.
- In some instances, we may be able to evaluate dogs for their CGC on the first day of class. If a dog does not pass the CGC evaluation, course costs will be refunded.
- Requests for the CGC evaluation must be made in advance.
- Teams must attend 5 out of 6 classes to be eligible for evaluation.
- The sixth class is generally a "mall visit" to practice visiting skills in a public setting.
- Please do not sign up for a set of classes if you cannot commit to the schedule
The 6th class (mall visit) may be a different day, time, and location from the other classes.
Please direct any questions to the Director of Training on our Leadership Team.