Therapy Dog Training Class
This class is for potential volunteers and their pets who would like to prepare for therapy work.
- Get to know more about NCTD.
- Meet other NCTD volunteers, and learn from their visiting experiences.
- Become prepared for therapy visits.
- Get your pet exposed to hospital equipment.
- Improve control and communication with your pet.
- Practice team reaction to distractions.
- Practice with successful therapy animals.
- ... and much more!
- Dog must be at least 10 months old at start of class.
- A copy of a current rabies vaccination must be provided by the first day of class.
- Dogs must currently have reliable basic obedience skills:
- Sit, Down, Stay on command
- Walk on loose leash (no pulling handler, or dragging behind)
- Dogs must have passed the Canine Good Citizen (CGC) test sponsored by the American Kennel Club.
- In some instances, we may be able to evaluate dogs for their CGC on the first day of class. If a dog does not pass the CGC evaluation, course costs will be refunded.
- Requests for the CGC evaluation must be made in advance.
- Teams must attend 5 out of 6 classes to be eligible for evaluation.
- The sixth class is generally a "mall visit" to practice visiting skills in a public setting.
- Please do not sign up for a set of classes if you cannot commit to the schedule
The 6th class (mall visit) may be a different day, time, and location from the other classes.
Whenever you're ready, you can find classes and register online through the NCTD Calendar.
Please direct any questions to the Director of Training on our Leadership Team.